Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Stars Are Holding You Tonight




“I remember the time you told me about when you were eight
And all those things you said that night that just couldn't wait
I remember the car you were last seen in, and the games we would play
All the times we spilled our coffees and stayed out way too late

I remember the time you sat and told me about your Jesus
And how not to look back even if no one believes us
When it hurt so bad sometimes not having you here, I sing…

Tonight I’ve fallen and I can't get up…”

    The lead singer of FM Static, Trevor McNevan (who is also with TFK), wrote this in memory of his brother, who died young.  I love how the chorus simultaneously captures the crushing weight of grief and loss ("I've fallen and I can't get up") as well as the hope that gets us through ("the stars are holding you").
     It reminds me of another song about stars from Switchfoot that highlights a much broader human condition, and hints at a much deeper solution.

“Stars looking at a planet, watching entropy and pain
And maybe start to wonder how the chaos in our lives could pass as sane
I've been thinking about the meaning of resistance, of a hope beyond my own
And suddenly the infinite and penitent begin to look like home

I've been thinking about everyone - everyone, you look so empty…
But when I look at the stars…I see someone else”

  

No comments:

Post a Comment